- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Gala apple, halved, cored, and sliced
- head red cabbage, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves (optional)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider (or red wine) vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar (or substitute)
- 1/2 cup water (or vegetable broth)
- In a large saucepan over medium heart, warm olive oil. Add onion and apple and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in red cabbage and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Add bay leaf, cloves, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until cabbage is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar.
Like what you find here? Click here to sign up for more healthy tips, inspirations, and recipes sent directly to your inbox each week.
Comment below to let me me know how it turned out and share some of your family favorites!